Thursday, May 1, 2008

a brief intro to the fat blogosphere

So for another one of my research papers I've been learning a lot about the fat acceptance/fat rights movement. Of course, the main reason I'm interested in this topic is that I am fat, so this may not be interesting to anyone else, lol. But there was a really atrocious article on the MSN website called "What if no one were fat?". Not too long ago I wouldn't have thought of it problematic, but I've developed this new fat consciousness (for lack of a better and less amorphous term) that leads me to have a strong reaction to stuff like this. I won't give you the link to the original article because I don't want to generate any more hits for their site, but here's a response from a fat person that includes lots of tidbits from it:

http://ccafeteria.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-is-us-in-recession-because-of-all.html

Stuff like this is just one more reason the study of economics scares me - efficiency is god. Of course, there are lots of voices in the "marketplace of ideas," but scapegoating of any kind makes me uncomfortable. Although particularly when it's about me...

2 comments:

christianna said...

wow. that article is insane. (i read the blog that you linked to -- which i thought was a great response.)

what gets me is that the author of the article probably really has no idea just how ignorant he/she is and how rude the article was. isn't there supposed to be some kind of editor or something that proofs these things before they are posted?

christianna said...

okay. did you read this article!? i can't believe it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24666022/from/ET/

this one angers me.