Monday, March 17, 2008

the mongolian death worm

So I was innocently watching USA network, when I saw an ad for one of those natural wonders/adventure shows. This one was about the Mongolian Death Worm. Never heard of it? Well, me neither. So instead of working on one of my several required essays, I thought I'd go googling.

Turns out it's a cryptozoological wonder - a mystery animal on par with Nessie the Loch Ness monster and the Abominable Snowman. I found a real "gem" of a documentary on CFZTV (which is short for Centre for Fortean Zoology, "fortean" meaning paranormal):

http://www.cfztv.org/inv.htm

The next time you're bored out of your mind and/or desperately seeking distractions, check it out...

Speaking of Mongolia, I recently came across a TV miniseries/documentary that ran a few years ago called "The Long Way Round." It's about two actors (Ewan McGregor and his best friend Charley Boorman) who ride their motorcycles around the world. Now, being a girl (1) whose mother always told her about the dangers of motorcycles and boys who ride them AND (2) who loves traveling, I absolutely loved this series. It has also made me appreciate Ewan McGregor in a way I never could have before, lol. So the reason that this is semi-relevant is that they drive through Mongolia. It's really beautiful in a barren desert kind of way. You can see clips of it on YouTube. As a result of watching all 10 episodes in quick succession TWICE, I now have the themesong permanently playing in my brain. I'm glad it's a good song. :)

3 comments:

christianna said...

that show sounds really interesting, actually. and since i also have a sweet spot for men on motorcycles ... i think i'm gonna have to check it out!

Shanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shanna said...

Years ago, a friend of mine did some humanitarian work in Mongolia for a few months. Since she wasn't really there as a tourist, her experience of the country was that it's cold, poor, and she warned me not to send any mail that might appear religious content or propaganda.
I'm surprised you haven't been there already! :)